Born at Stapleford, Herts, in 1901, Bailey came to St John's College in 1919 to study Natural Sciences. In 1921 he switched to Law, and graduated LLB in 1923 with a 2.1. In 1922 he was called to the Bar and joined the staff of Messrs Gibson & Weldon. In 1926 Bailey moved to Aberystwyth to lecture at the University College of Wales, and from there moved to Birmingham University as Reader in English Law. In 1931 he returned to Cambridge to become a Fellow and College Lecturer at St John's. A University Lectureship followed in 1934, and then a Readership in Law in 1946. When H.A. Holland retired from the Rouse Ball Chair of English Law in 1950, Bailey was elected to succeed him, holding the post until 1968. Bailey served his College as Director of Studies (1934-50) and Tutor (1939-46), and served the University as Senior Proctor (1936-7). Bailey wrote on legal history, editing the Cambridge Legal History Series, and on property law. His best known work, however, is his 'Law of Wills', first published in 1935. Bailey was a popular lecturer. He was twice married.
Annotated publications, lecture notes, letters.
Donated by Prof. Bailey's son, J.C.L. Bailey, in 2001; item C10 was donated by Prof. S.F.C. Milsom in 2004.