George Williams (1814-78) was educated at Eton and King's College, Cambridge, matriculating in 1832. He was a Fellow of the College from 1835 to 1870. He was ordained in 1838, and in the early 1840s spent 2 years as chaplain to Bishop Alexander in Jerusalem. During the 1850s he held a number of posts within the College and the University, including the Vice-Provostship of King's College from 1854 to 1857. In 1869 he became the vicar of Ringwood. He was made an honorary Canon at Cumbrae College in 1864 and at Winchester Cathedral in 1874.
Author of 'The Holy City' (1845), 'Historical Notices of Jerusalem' and other topographical works.
The papers comprise correspondence, notes and biographical material.
The provenance of these papers is unknown.
Most of the items in this collection were numbered in pencil and indexed under name and subject by Rev. William Ralph Churton (KC 1856, Fellow 1859-97). See 12/13 for this index. Churton also arranged the correspondence in chronological order and numbered these items in blue crayon, in addition to the pencil numbers. His chronological order has been retained for the correspondence. His subject arrangement has generally been preserved for the remainder of the material. The collection was recatalogued in 2003 and again in 2007.