Ann Glossop (Mrs Franklin) was born in Chesterfield and educated at Penrhos College, Colwyn Bay. She came up to Girton on a scholarship to read Natural Sciences 1954-57 (MA 1961). After a period as a research scientist she went into teaching, joining the staff of Channing School in 1973 and becoming Head of Science there. She became Registrar (administration and welfare) for the John Lewis Partnership, Milton Keynes in 1990. She married in 1958.
Receipts for College accounts kept by her father during Ann Franklin's time at Girton. The receipts give an insight into the financial cost of being a student in the mid1950s. There is a letter from K M Peace, the College Secretary in reply to one from Mr Glossop asking for a figure for a student's allowance. Miss Peace's letter (19 May 1954) gives rough averages for clothes, books and spending money. The receipts cover fees for tuition, residence, club subscriptions, heating etc as well as details of her College Award
Given by Ann Franklin (through the Tutorial Secretary, Girton College) in 2003.