An off-shoot of Cambridge University Board of Extra-Mural Studies, the Society was established in or around 1925, when a continuous series of courses began. Responsibility for University extension in Northamptonshire was transferred to Leicester University in 1962. The Society dissolved in 1972.
The records cover the organisation and management of the society, its membership, financial affairs and running of its courses.
The archives were in the possession of the last secretary, Miss Alvies M. Platt, until her death in 1976 when they were given to the University Archives.
A large number of duplicates and an incomplete set of reports of the Board of Extra-Mural Studies were transferred to the Northamptonshire Records Office, 1977.
Sections 1-7 contain the Society's own records; section 8 contains the records of the Cambridge Local Centres Union meetings; sections 9-10 contain Miss Platt's own papers.