[Home] About Janus Participating Institutions Browse and Search What's New Feedback Useful Links Research Tools
University contains:
<-- See earlier
SOC.XVIII Records of the Cambridge University Athletic Club
SOC.XX Records relating to the Cambridge University Musical Comedy Club productions
SOC.XXI Records of the Cambridge University Mountaineering Club
SOC.XXII Records of the Cambridge University Madrigal Society
SOC.XXIII.1 Lists of Cambridge University Hockey Club teams for Varsity matches, 1890-1987 and results, 1890-1990; with a brief Club history
SOC.XXIV Records of the Cambridge University Real Tennis Club
SOC.XXIX Records of the Del Squared V Club
SOC.XXV Records of the Cambridge University Mummers
SOC.XXVI.1 Papers relating to campaigning for the introduction of lead-free petrol
SOC.XXVII Records of the Archimedeans, Cambridge University Mathematical Society
SOC.XXVIII Records of the Cambridge Mathematical Club
See later -->
Search Janus
Advanced search
Browse catalogues or indexes

More information

Please feel free to contact the repository.

Records of the Cambridge University Real Tennis Club

Title Records of the Cambridge University Real Tennis Club
Reference GBR/0265/SOC.XXIV
Creator Cambridge University Real Tennis Club
Covering Dates 1865–2001
Extent and Medium 10 volumes, 1 bundle, 1 loose sheet; paper
Repository Cambridge University Archives
Content and context

A real tennis court was built in 1866 at the western end of Burrell's Walk, on land leased from Clare College, by the private subscription of several fellows of Clare and Trinity Colleges, for the use of their senior and junior members. In 1877, its use was extended to King's College and in 1902 to any member of the University. Associate membership was introduced for players not belonging to the University in 1958. A second court was erected on the same site in 1890, though this was converted into four squash courts in 1933. At this time the courts' name changed from Clare and Trinity Tennis Courts to Cambridge Tennis and Squash Rackets Courts. The courts were managed by a committee of the shareholders (or proprietors) who employed professional players, traditionally called Keepers of the Courts and markers, to coach members. Preparations for play at the courts to resume at the end of the Second World War saw the adminstration and ownership overhauled and a club - the Cambridge University Tennis Club - instituted. By 1959, if not earlier, it had become known as the Real Tennis Club. The freehold of the site was acquired by the University from Clare College in 1974.

The records are chiefly minutes and accounts relating to the building and management of the tennis courts. There is a smaller quantity of material on the game itself and players.

The records were presented to the University Archives by Roger Morgan as a gift on 28 Jan. 2002.

Access and Use

Please cite as Cambridge University Archives, Records of the Cambridge University Real Tennis Club, SOC.XXIV

Further information

Background information is published in Roger Morgan Real tennis in Cambridge: the first six hundred years (Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 2001) of which a copy is catalogued as UA SOC.XXIV.12.

Index Terms
Clubs
Sport
Cambridge University Real Tennis Club
University/SOC.XXIV contains:
SOC.XXIV.1 Minutes of meetings, signed.
3 volumes.
1865–1962
SOC.XXIV.2 Capital and dividend accounts book.
1 volume.
1865–1938
SOC.XXIV.3 Ledger. Includes the subscription, play, wages and repairs accounts; with annual statements, or summaries.
1 volume.
1906–1939
SOC.XXIV.4 Cash book.
1 volume.
1911–1947
SOC.XXIV.5 Account book of expenditure on, among other things, wages, rents, insurance and repairs.
1 volume.
1930–1950
SOC.XXIV.6 Bank statements for the clearing, or current, account.
1 bundle.
1933–1940
SOC.XXIV.7 Bank pass book for the Harradine Testimonial Fund. James Harradine (1850-1910) was employed at the tennis courts, first as marker and assistant to John Phillips and from 1882 as courts manager, player and coach.
1 volume.
25 Apr. 1910–25 Oct. 1910
SOC.XXIV.8 Printed circular letter soliciting loans and donations to facilitate the reopening of the tennis courts.
Creator: Managers of Clare and Trinity Tennis Courts.
1 sheet.
Jan. 1919
SOC.XXIV.9 Notebook of the Giraffes Tennis Club. Comprises:- rule, subscriptions accounts and lists of members.
Creator: Giraffes Tennis Club.
1 volume.
1957–1966
SOC.XXIV.10 Photocopied articles from The Field relating to real tennis.
Creator: Rich, Brian.
2 ring binders.
1859–1936
SOC.XXIV.11 Album of newscuttings reporting matches and match notices.
1 volume.
1907–1914
SOC.XXIV.12 Real tennis in Cambridge: the first six hundred years (Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 2001).
Creator: Morgan, Roger.
1 volume.
2001

This site uses Google Analytics Cookies. By using our website you agree that we can place these cookies on your device.

The webmaster.

Valid XHTML 1.0!Valid CSS!