The Club was established in 1889 by Richard Runciman Terry (King' College, 1889) for junior and senior members of the University interested in hearing and performing Chamber Music. From the mid-twentieth century onwards, it was closely connected with Cambridge University Chamber Orchestra (known as CUCO), providing musicians, hiring conductors and promoting concerts. By this point it was known as the Cambridge University Music Club and more usually referred to as CUMC. In 2010 CUMC was formally wound up on merger with Cambridge University Musical Society and its remaining assets transferred. CUCO continued thereafter to be the University's premier chamber orchestra but under the CUMS rather than CUMC umbrella.
The records relate to the organisation and administration of the society, its financial affairs, membership, musical activities and the development and running of its Library of books and music. They include records relating to Cambridge University Chamber Orchestra, Oxford and Cambridge Musical Club and the Oxford University Musical Union.
The archives up to 1973 were placed on deposit in the Manuscripts Department on 15 Sept. 1973 and catalogued there as Add.Ms.8068. They were withdrawn by the Society and placed in Pendlebury Library on 15 June 1988. On 29 June 2000 this material together with further records up to 1990 were transferred to the University Archives as a gift by Emily Steinitz (New Hall), president. After the winding up of the society in 2010 a further tranche of records was transferred to the University Archives: SOC.XVI.1.2.9, 1.3, 3.9-12, 4.8, 6.4: by Josh Borin (Clare College) junior treasurer 2009-10 on 1 and 18 March 2011; SOC.XVI.6.3 (addnl) by Andrew Browning (St John's College) president 2009-10, on 20 April 2011.
Returned society cheques were destroyed in March 2001.
A 30 closure period is imposed on membership records, under the transfer terms.
Please cite as Cambridge University Archives, Records of the Cambridge University Musical Club, SOC.XVI