The Association has its origins in the small rifle club of the Cambridge University Rifle Volunteers (formed 1803) which continued to expand until 1907 when it was officially incorporated as a Rifle Club and affiliated to the National Rifle Association. In 1909, the present Association was formed by an amalgamation of the Rifle Club and the Revolver Club (established 1902). The Cambridge University Officer Training Corps, with whom the Association has always had close links, was recognised as providing the University's marksmen for Varsity matches until 1933 when an amendment to the rules allowed both Corps and non-Corps members of the Association to be eligible to represent the University. The Association's annual training event is the week-long Easter practice at Bisley Camp, near Woking. The Association is the parent body of the Small Bore, Revolver and Pistol and Long Range Rifle Clubs, their memberships frequently overlapping.
Further historical background information is on the Association's website at http://www.srcf.ucam.org/cura/cura/.
The records cover all aspects of club administration and include a quantity of records from the Small Bore Club.
The bulk of the records were transferred to the University Archives in two batches by Chris Haley, St John's College, on 1 Dec. 1998 and an unidentified member on 13 Aug. 2001. Thereafter, additional transfers have been made as follows: XIV.1.12A, 1.14-16, 13 (part), 15-19, 20.1, 20.2.2 by J. Jowett on 1 July 2005; XIV.20.2.1 and 21 by Gordon Stewart, St Catharine's College, on 15 August 2006; XIV.20.1.2, 20.2.3, 22 by an unidentified member on 30 September 2009; 1.13A, 1.17, 2.1, 5.1-4, 22.2, 23-38 by Robert Bogie, captain, in ca 2009; 1.18-19, 39-40 by Lara Bogie on 22 August 2011.
The classmarks assigned to the records reflect accession order not archival order. To aid browsing of the catalogue therefore, in June 2011 classmarks/catalogue entries were grouped into categories A-E: governance, administration, finance, activities, membership, and Small Bore Club.