The Department was established in October 1945, alongside a Chair in Chemical Engineering, with funding from the Shell Group of Oil Companies. Terence Robert Corelli Fox was the first professor. It was not assigned to any Faculty, but administered instead by a Syndicate. From the outset, however, it was part of the School of Physical Sciences. The Department was housed in temporary accommodation on a site between Tennis Court Road and Trumpington Street until 1959 when it moved into a new building on Pembroke Street, now part of the New Museums Site. For further background information, see P.V. Dankwerts "Chemical Engineering comes to Cambridge" in the Cambridge Review, Jan. 1983, pp.53-5.
The records are largely concerned with the administration of the department and the teaching and examining of students.
Transferred 20 Apr. 2000 by Miss Linda Craft, Secretary to the Head of the Department of Chemical Engineering, New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge. The records are a permanent transfer to the University Archives.
Further accruals are expected.
Records are arranged into broad categories by function.