Correspondence concerning 'Special cases out of which arose discussions as to original protective clauses', including conferences at the Board of Trade. The correspondence covers the period 1893-1903, and is mainly with the Director of Works.
Correspondence with A.W. Rücker and others concerning the protection of the Royal Observatory from the production of a 'magnetic field' as a result of poor insulation between the carriages of the trains passing by the Royal Observatory, 1898-1904.
Correspondence with the Treasury, the Royal Society and the Director of Works concerning the proposed removal of the magnetic instruments from the Kew and Greenwich Observatories, 1901.
'Administrative County of London and District Electric Power Co. Bill', 1905.
'London County Council Electric Supply Bill 1906/7.'
Correspondence with the Director of Works, the Board of Trade and the Treasury, 1905-1907, concerning the above bills and a conference held at the Treasury on 18 June 1907, including a discussion as to the protective clause.
Correspondence with the Admiralty concerning the London County Council Electric Supply Bill 1906 and the proposed revision of the clause relating to the protection of government observatories, 1906.
Correspondence concerning a conference at the Treasury on 18 June 1907, including a memorandum of the conclusions arrived at.
Correspondence concerning electric railway trains, 1893-1909. The correspondents are W.D. Prideaux; J. Janssen; R. Hill; the Director General, Ordnance Survey; G. Whale; and the Mount Hamilton Exploitation Co.
Comparison of the magnetic declination at Greenwich and Parc St., Maur, Paris, 1901.
Correspondence with the Board of Trade concerning a visit to the Royal Observatory to inspect the Earth current registers, and subsequent correspondence on electrical disturbances, 1910.
Copies of protective clauses and related notes, 1899-1903.
Memoranda relating to magnetism and earth currents, 1897-1901.
Extracts from various newspapers concerning electric railways, 1900-1909, including an article on the removal of the Royal Observatory:
1. 'The Times', 24 January 1900: 'Electric Traction on the underground railway'.
2. 'Daily Mail', 4 July 1900: 'Vagrant Electricity'.
3. 'The Times', 25 December 1900: 'Electric Trains and Magnetic Observations'.
4. 'The Times', 26 December 1900: 'Electric Trains and Magnetic Observations'.
5. 'The Times', 29 December 1900: an article on the removal of the Royal Observatory due to electric trains causing disturbances in the magnetic readings.
6. 'The Times', 14 February 1901: 'South Metropolitan Gas Co.'
7. 'Engineering', 24 November 1905: 'Single - Phase V. continuous current for traction purposes' and 'Engineering Schemes in Parliament'.
8. 'Electrical Industries and Investments', 29 November 1905: 'The autocrat of the Board Table - XVI' and 'The South Metropolitan Electric Light and Power Co. Ltd - Growing Demand for Light and Power'.
9. 'The Times', 13 December 1905: 'The St Neots' Electric Power Scheme'.
10. 'The Times', 2 May 1906: 'London County Council (tramways and improvements) Bill'.
11. 'The Times', 10 May 1906: 'Parliamentary Committees - London County Council (Electric Supply) Bill'.
12. 'The Times', 11 May 1906: 'London County Council (Electric Supply Bill)'.
13. 'The Times', 19 March 1907: 'London County Council Committees'.
14. 'The Times', March 1907: 'London County Council - New chairman of committees'.
15. 'The Times', 10 May 1907: 'London County Council (Electric Supply) Bill'.
16. 'The Times', 28 May 1907: 'Electric Supply in London'.
17. 'The Times', 12 June 1907 'London County Council - The Electricity Supply Bill'.
18. 'The Times', 1 January 1908: engineering supplement, 'London Power proposals for 1908'.
19. 'The Times', 17 June 1908: 'London Electricity Supply'.
20. 'The Times', 8 January 1909: 'The Electrification Scheme'.
21. 'The Morning Post', 27 September 1909: 'Royal Observatory and Electric Railways'.
22. 'The Times', 25 September 1909: 'The Royal Observatory and Electric Railways'.
23. 'Daily Mail', 31 August 1905: 'Why Greenwich Observatory ought to be moved'.
24. 'Daily Mail', 1 September 1905: 'Greenwich Royal Observatory - should it be moved? - Scientists' views'.
25. 'Daily Mail', 2 September 1905: 'Greenwich Royal Observatory - The essential factors in selecting a site'.
26. 'Daily Mail', 4 September 1905: 'The Royal Observatory - The case for the Greenwich site'.
27. 'Daily Mail', 5 September 1905: 'The Royal Observatory - How haze and fog impede work'.
28. 'Daily Mail', 6 September 1905: 'Professor Gregory on the Greenwich Site'.
29. 'Daily Mail', 7 September 1905: 'The Royal Observatory - Astronomers' Defence of Greenwich'.