Revd. Ernest Millar (1868-1917) was the son of a successful timber merchant and was educated at Clifton and London University. In 1891 he also obtained a Mathematics degree at Ridley College, Cambridge. In the same year he was accepted as an Honorary Missionary by the Church Missionary Society, and set out for the Equatorial East African Mission in Uganda in 1892. He reached Mengo in the company of a party of seven other missionaries (including Bishop Alfred Tucker) at the end of 1892 and it was here that, apart from periods of furlough, he was to spend the rest of his life. In 1902 he accompanied Sir Apolo Kagwa to England and from 1912 until his death in 1917 he was secretary of the CMS in Uganda. He left £2000 in his will to King's School, Budo.
A collection of loose prints most measuring approximately 100 x 75 mm., the majority captioned on the reverse, showing scenes in Uganda and portraits of personalities connected with Millar's career. Photographs by Charles William Hattersley and others. Many of the photographs are reproduced in Ham Mukasa's 'Uganda's Katikiro in England' (London 1904), edited and translated by Ernest Millar and hereafter referred to as 'Mukasa'. A few are also to be found in C.W. Hattersley's 'Uganda by the pen and camera' (Religious Tract Society, 1906) hereafter referred to as Hattersley. The collection also contains some written material, mainly obituary notices and other biographical items concerned with Millar. For a detailed listing see (ed.) Donald H. Simpson, 'The manuscript catalogue of the Royal Commonwealth Society' (Mansell, 1975), p.105.
Presented by Colonel R.W. Hay, nephew of Reverend Millar, 1969-71.