Sydney Harold Liddle was an Able Seaman in the Royal Navy before the First World War and served on H.M.S. Lancaster during 1910-12.
Album of photographs by various photographers inscribed 'H.M.S. Lancaster; Mediterranean Photographic Album: Diary of Events and Important Places Visited during the Commission 1910-1912' on the cover. This album was the property of Sydney Harold Liddle, whose name also appears on the front cover.
There are two unnumbered plates followed by 190 prints, 140 x 97 mm numbered from 9 to 197, followed by a further unnumbered print. There is no indication as to why numbers 1-8 are not present. To avoid confusion, the unnumbered plates are listed as 1 and 2; the remainder follow the printed captions. There are printed captions (in sometimes erratic spelling) which record the movements of H.M.S. 'Lancaster' and in most cases indicate the subject of the photograph. Some show actual events of the ship's activities, others are photographs of scenes and buildings in the places visited, not necessarily related to the presence of the ship's company. Where necessary, additional information has been added in brackets.
H.M.S. 'Lancaster' visited many islands in the Mediterranean as well as countries bordering it, and these are indicated in the following list. There are also a number of photographs showing life on board the ship and these have been separately listed at the beginning. In view of the fact that the Ionian Islands were once a British Protectorate, photographs relating to them have been noted separately from those of other parts of Greece.
Life on board: 41-44, 49-50, 56-58, 157-164
Manoeuvres: 18-20, 45-48
United Kingdom: 15-26
Gibraltar: 9-10, 13-14, 27, 69, 75
Malta: 11-12, 39-40, 51-54, 65-68, 82-85, 131-135, 173-181 (visit of H.M. King George V), 184, 198
Spain: 28-32, 70-74
Greece and Crete: 38, 63-64, 122-126, 156, 182-183
Ionian Islands: 55-62, 165-172
Egypt: 86-99 (celebrations of Coronation), 107-108, 127-130, 136-155
The album was presented by Sydney Liddle's son Mr. K.H. Liddle, of Tunbridge Wells, in October 1987.