Dr Frederick Steiner (FGS) was an Austrian born investment banker and businessman, who served as Director and Chairman on the boards of a number of major American and European companies in the period 1924 to the late 1950s.
Frederick was born in Vienna in 1890, graduated Vienna University (Law faculty) in 1913, and from 1915 was addressed as Dr Steiner. He completed his military service in 1917 and married in 1921 Else Franzos with whom he had one daughter, Ruth Lilian (born Vienna 1922) and one son, Francis George (born Paris 1929). Dr Steiner became a naturalised French citizen in 1938 and a naturalised American in 1946. He died after a brief illness in Zurich in 1968.
After serving the Austrian British Bank in Vienna as a legal advisor from 1921-1924, Dr Steiner moved to Paris where he joined the Investment Bankers Dillon Reed Corporation as a Paris based Director and represented them on the Boards of other companies in which they held an interest. In 1940 he moved to New York as the American based representative of the Arnholt Family Syndicate. He continued to serve on the boards of a number of companies including the Lazard Freres group.
The material at Churchill Archives Centre comprises Dr Steiner's business and personal papers. They are in English, French and German. They consist mainly of Dr Steiner's business correspondence (mostly in English) with the other Directors of the Boards on which he served particularly concerning the international political situation as it affected the gold standard and international finance. There are also some personal papers in German and an extensive collection of family photographs.
Acc 1100 - The papers were received by Churchill Archives Centre in 2000 as a gift from Professor George Steiner, son of Dr Frederick Steiner and a Fellow of Churchill College.
The papers were loosely grouped in files with titles supplied by Dr Steiner and Professor George Steiner. This arrangement has largely been retained. The papers were originally mixed with the papers of Professor George Steiner (now a separate collection).
The collection is owned by Churchill College.