Alan Frederick Lascelles, known as 'Tommy', was born on 11 April 1887, the son of Commander Frederick Canning Lascelles and Frederica Maria Liddell. He was educated at Hazelhurst preparatory school, Marlborough College and Trinity College, Oxford.
During the First World War, Lascelles served in France with the Bedfordshire Yeomanry (1914-18). He was then appointed Aide-de-Camp to George Lloyd, the Governor of Bombay (1919-20). In Delhi he married Joan Thesiger (eldest daughter of the Viceroy, Frederic Thesiger, Viscount Chelmsford) with whom he had three children. Having returned to England in 1920 Lascelles was appointed Assistant Private Secretary to the Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII). He was Secretary to the Governor General of Canada (1931-35); Assistant Private Secretary to King George V (1935), and to King George VI, (1936-43), rising to the position of Private Secretary (1943-52) becoming Private Secretary to the Queen (1952-53). He was Keeper of the Royal Archives (1943-1953). Lascelles died on 10 August 1981.
The papers held at Churchill Archives Centre include Lascelles' diaries; Royal correspondence; correspondence and papers concerning Edward, Prince of Wales [later Edward VIII]; correspondence with colleagues and family concerning members of the Royal family or Royal duties; correspondence during and concerning the First World War; correspondence from India while serving as Aide-de-Camp to George Lloyd; family correspondence; personal correspondence with friends and colleagues; miscellaneous correspondence on historical and literary subjects; honours and awards and genealogical papers; literary papers; press cuttings; photographs; and maps of France and Belgium from the First World War.
With some earlier family papers, 1846-1920.
Also with papers about the publication of Alan Lascelles' diaries, 1986-9.
The Lascelles papers were deposited at Churchill Archives Centre in stages between 1987 and 2007 by his daughters. The initial deposit had been housed temporarily at the Royal Archives.
The collection was arranged into series. There are two additional sections: an additional section (LASL II) which contains similar material to that already listed in the first section of the catalogue (LASL), and a further deposit of World War I maps which are listed separately.
The papers are owned by Churchill College, Cambridge.