Miscellaneous typescript and manuscript letters to Jardine, Matheson & Co. and its members regarding legal and other matters, with some copies of letters from members of the company and a few related papers.
1. A letter from William James Thompson, London, to Jardine, Matheson & Co., 23 November 1837, enclosing a circular concerning alterations in the procedure of tea sales.
2. A letter from H.J. Tarrant, solicitor, Hong Kong, to Jardine, Matheson & Co., Hong Kong, 20 March 1857, containing a list of documents herewith returned by him.
3. A press copy of a letter from W.H. Alexander, Acting Colonial Secretary, Hong Kong, to Jardine, Matheson & Co., East Point, 12 August 1862, regarding the claims of the captain and passengers following the abandonment of the 'Lord of the Isles', and a copy of the account current of the former master of the late vessel with the ship's owners, Hong Kong, 18 August 1862.
4. A note addressed to Herbert St Ledger Magniac, Canton, regarding his appointment as Danish consul at Canton, 4 September 1864.
5. An envelope containing a letter from Francis A. Groom, Shanghai, to Jardine, Matheson, Hong Kong, 21 March 1870, regarding the assignment to the company of his shares in the Canton Insurance Offices, 1868, 1869 and 1870.
6. An envelope containing a letter from Glover & Co., Nagasaki, to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, 23 March 1870, regarding the assignment to the company of Glover & Co.'s shares in the Canton Insurance Offices, 1868, 1869 and 1870.
7. A letter from Dodd & Co., Tamsui, to Henry Murray, 19 December 1870, and a press copy of Murray's reply of the same date, regarding Dodd & Co. leasing a property at Piatow from Jardine, Matheson & Co.
8. A copy of a letter from Clarke Son & Rawlins, 66 Gresham House, Old Broad Street, London, solicitors for Robert Palmer Harding, trustee of the property and estate of Gledstanes & Co. of London, merchants, to Jardine, Matheson & Co. and Matheson & Co., 5 October 1872, informing them that any goods, money or property received by them from firms in which Gledstanes & Co. were interested or concerned are to be accounted for to R.P. Harding.
9. A manuscript copy of a letter from P. Williams, 5 Bank Building, London, to William Keswick, 30 May 1895, regarding Sir Robert Jardine's position with regard to Jardine, Matheson & Co.
10. An envelope containing a letter from Donald Beith of Beith, Stevenson & Co. Ltd, Manchester, to Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd, Shanghai, 5 December 1917, regarding Jardine Matheson's purchase of rights acquired by Beith, Stevenson & Co. in chops in which Messrs Galbraith & Co. has previously held a joint interest with Jardine Matheson.
11. An envelope containing a typed copy of an extract from a letter from David Landale to D.G.M. Bernard, Hong Kong, 24 September 1925, regarding a deed of gift and power of attorney executed by Sir Robert Jardine in favour of his son.
The letters formed part of a small set of non-legal documents identified during the cataloguing of Series F. No. 10 was formerly part of the Chairman's private historical papers held in Matheson & Co. Ltd's strongroom.