Sir Charles Edward Inglis (1875-1952) was educated at Cheltenham College and King's College, Cambridge. He spent almost his entire working life in Cambridge University's Engineering Department as the University's Professor of Mechanical Sciences (1919-1943). He was a Fellow of King's, and spent three years (1943-1946) as the college's Vice-Provost. Among numerous professional distinctions, Inglis was awarded the Telford Medal of the Institute of Civil Engineers in 1924. He was President of British Waterworks Association, 1935-1936, and of the Institution of Civil Engineers, 1941-1942. He was awarded a knighthood in 1945.
The papers include many items relating to Inglis's interest in the theory and practice of bridge-building, including his correspondence with Lt-Col. A.G. Gadd, RE, regarding the hasty development of the Inglis Portable Military Bridge in the face of pressing Army demands during 1940-1941. There are working notes and technical papers, as well as drafts of a number of after-dinner and speech-day orations, which provide an insight into Inglis's leisure interests.
Transferred from the Department of Engineering, 1976.