Simon Patrick (1626-1707), Bishop of Ely, was born in 1626 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, the eldest son of Henry Patrick, a wealthy mercer and merchant. He was given a religious education of protestant piety and Calvinist theology before going to Queens' College Cambridge in 1644 where he acted as scribe to the Master. He graduated BA in 1648, was elected as a Fellow in 1649 and proceeded MA in 1651.
Patrick served his college in the early 1650s being both senior bursar and dean of chapel and also lecturing in philosophy, arithmetic, and Hebrew. He was obliged to take orders and submitted to presbyterian ordination in 1653 before being ordained priest in 1654. In 1655 Patrick became chaplain to Sir Walter St John at Battersea and in 1658 St John offered him the vacant vicarage at St Mary's Battersea which he held until 1675. He wrote his earliest works at this time, most importantly his sacramental treatises Aqua genitalis (1659) and Mensa mystica (1660).
In 1662 he was elected to President of Queens' College by the fellows, but his appointment was overruled by a royalist nominee being installed on king's mandamus. Patrick appealed, but to no avail and he eventually abandoned the case in 1665. In 1662 he was also offered the rectorship of St Paul's Covent Garden by the earl of Bedford where Patrick stayed until 1689. He earned a reputation as an exemplary parish priest, not least because of his decision to stay with his parishioners during the plague of 1665. His correspondence with Lady Elizabeth Gauden dates from this period and provides a fascinating account of his experiences and thoughts during the plague. In 1671 Patrick was made a royal chaplain and on 13 July he received a prebend at Westminster, where he was installed four days later.
Patrick married Penelope Jephson in 1675 at Miserden in Gloucestershire. They had three children, William (b. 1 July 1678), Simon (b. 2 Oct 1680), and Penelope (b. 1 Dec 1685), of whom only Simon survived infancy. Penelope outlived her husband: she died on 10 April 1725.
Patrick became dean of Peterborough in 1679, holding the office together with the rectory of St Paul's before being confirmed as bishop of Chichester on 12 October 1689. He served on the ecclesiastical commission designed to revise the prayer book and was also seen as an expert in the composition of prayers, being instructed to revise the collects with a view to bringing them more into line with the epistles and the gospels. In 1691 Patrick became Bishop of Ely, moving to Cambridgeshire in May 1692 where he reconstructed the bishop's palace at Ely. He also helped establish the Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge (SPCK).
He died in 1707 at the age of 80.
John Patrick, Church of England clergyman and religious controversialist, was baptized on 19 April 1632 at Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, the second son of Henry Patrick (bap. 1596, d. 1665), mercer, and his wife, Mary Naylor (d. in or after 1665), of Nottinghamshire. Patrick matriculated from Queens' College, Cambridge, on 10 July 1647, graduated BA in 1651, and proceeded MA in 1654. He served as vicar of Battersea for his brother during 1662-71, and then became preacher at Charterhouse, London.
At Charterhouse Patrick began to publish his works, beginning with his Reflexions upon the Devotions of the Roman Church (1674). A Century of Select Psalms and Portions of the Psalms of David (1679) was for the use of Charterhouse, and ran to many subsequent editions. He also contributed to Plutarch's Morals Translated from the Greek by Several Hands (1684-94). On 30 June 1685 he was collated a canon of Peterborough. In 1687 he published Religion of Protestants a Safe Way to Salvation. Also in 1687 he published Transubstantiation No Doctrine of the Primitive Fathers, and in 1688 A Full View of the Doctrines and Practices of the Ancient Church, both of which works were part of the Anglican resistance to James II's religious policies.
On 28 July 1690 Patrick was collated precentor of Chichester. Presumably because of his publications defending the Church of England, Archbishop Tillotson made him DD by Lambeth decree in 1691. He died at Charterhouse on 19 December 1695.
Written by Simon Patrick. Sermons numbered and arranged with reference to the boxes in which they were kept.
In both cases, some sermons by others are included. At fos 44-55 is a list of the same texts arranged in order of the books of the Bible. The book includes (fos 41, 42, 55v-137) sermons in the hand of Samuel Knight DD (d. 1746).
fos 3-21: torn out.
fo. 22: rough accounts headed 'Cous. Sandys', 1686-7.
From Samuel Knight DD, prebend of Ely and rector of Bluntisham, Hunts (d. 1746), the MS. descended to John Percy Baumgartner of Milton, Cambs., who presented it to the Library in 1861.