William Milner Fawcett (1832-1908), architect, was born at Woodhouse, near Leeds, on 12 July 1832, and educated at Leeds Grammar School and Jesus College, Cambridge. He started to practise in Cambridge in 1859. Fawcett was made a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1866, and served as a member of the council, 1871-1873 and 1884-1889, and as vice-president, 1896-1900. He was made county surveyor for Cambridgeshire in 1861, and diocesan surveyor for the diocese of Ely in 1871. Fawcett carried out work on the Cavendish Laboratory, Addenbrooke's Hospital and colleges in Cambridge, built the city's police station, and remodelled the county gaol. He also restored churches and worked on houses throughout the country. He died on 27 December 1908.
Architectural notes and sketches.
Presented by T. Jesson, 1920.