William Morris (1834-1896), poet and artist, was educated at Marlborough School and at Exeter College, Oxford (B.A., 1856). He was articled to an architect in 1856, but chose to pursue the profession of painter from 1857 to 1862. He helped to found the Oxford and Cambridge magazine, to which he made contributions, and was one of the founders of the manufacturing and decorating firm Morris, Marshall, Faulkner&Co. He joined the Democratic Federation in 1883, and helped to develop its socialist principles, before leaving to join the Socialist League in 1884.
Wiliam Graily Hewitt (1864-1952), artist, was educated at Westminster School and at Trinity College, Cambridge. He was called to the bar at Lincoln's Inn in 1889. For thirty years from 1902 he taught the Art of Writing at the L.C.C. Central School of Arts and Crafts. He also prepared memorial records for a range of academic and profession institutions.
A calligraphic copy by William Graily Hewitt of William Morris's The lovers of Gudrun, commissioned by Charles Fairfax Murray, 1908-1909.
Presented by Charles Fairfax Murray, 1918.