Edward Gordon Duff (1863-1924) was born in Liverpool on 16 February 1863, the son of Robert Duff. He was educated at Cheltenham College and Wadham College, Oxford (B.A., 1887), before becoming the librarian of the John Rylands Library, Manchester, 1893-1900. He resigned in 1900 in order to devote his time to bibliographical work, and produced many works on printing and bookbinding. Duff was president of the Edinburgh Bibliographical Society, 1899-1900, and the Sandars reader in bibliography at Cambridge University in 1898-1899, 1903-1904 and 1910-1911. He died on 28 September 1924.
A collation of the following 'long twelve' editions of Horae, 24 folios. On the versos are the titles, colophons and notes. On the rectos the incipits of each leaf are arranged in quires.
1. Clare College Library, KK.8.3(2), printed by Pynson, 1514 (fo. iiv).
2. Cambridge University Library, AB.5.62, printed by Wynkyn de Worde, 1514 (fo.1v).
3. British Library, C.35.a.2, printed by [Pynson, c. 1514] (fo. 2v).
4. Bodley, Douce BB.53 (1), printed by R. Fakes, c. 1521 (fo. 3v).
5. British Library, C.41.a.21, printed by P. Guerin, Rouen, c. 1515 (fo. 4v).
6. Emmanuel College Library, MSS.4.4.3, printed by Wynkyn de Worde  (fo. 5v).
7. F.J.H. Jenkinson, later Cambridge University Library, Rit.e.352.1, printed c. 1525 (fo. 6v).
8. Cambridge University Library, Syn.8.52.36, printed by J. Cousin, Rouen, 1525 (fo. 7v).
9. Stonyhurst College, T.7.42, printed by F. Regnault, Paris, 11 January 1526 (fo. 9v).
10. Bodley, Douce BB 75, printed by F. Regnault, Paris, 13 December 1527: note of the printer and the present library only (fo. 10v).
11. Bodley, Gough Missals 42, printed by J. Cousin, Rouen, c. 1528 (fo. 11v).
12. British Library, C.35.a.3, printed c. 1528 (fo. 12v).
13. Bodley, Douce BB 46, printed 1537 (fo. 13v).
Presented by Edward Gordon Duff, 1911.
The Horae are numbered respectively in Edgar Hoskins, Horae beatae Mariae Virginis (London, 1901), as nos 44, 46, 47, 60, 49, 64, 69, 68, 70, 81, 84, 87 and 127.
Cambridge University Library also holds lectures and papers of Edward Gordon Duff, MSS.Add.4230, 4542, 5712 and 7610-7612.