Richard Watson (1737-1816) was born at Heversham, Westmorland, in August 1737. He was educated in Heversham, before becoming a sizar at Trinity College, Cambridge, 1754, then scholar, 1757 (B.A., 1759; M.A., 1762; D.D., 1771). He became a fellow in 1760, and professor of chemistry in 1764. In 1771 he was appointed regius professor of divinity. Watson was made a prebendary of Ely in 1774, and archdeacon, 1779-1782. He was rector of Northwold, 1779-1781, and of Knaptoft, 1781, before becoming bishop of Llandaff in 1782. He died at Calgarth Park on 4 July 1816.
184 folios. Includes: (fo. 2) title page; (fo. 2v) rough notes; (fo. 3) notes by Richard Watson of lectures given by Gerras Holmes on natural philosophy; (fo. 66) notes by Watson of lectures by Holmes on optics; (fo. 134) notes by Watson of lectures by Holmes on hydrostatics; (fo. 180v) 'Lectures read by Mr. Holmes of Emanuel College in Cambridge', 'Cambridge 31' and scribblings; (fo. 184) 'twells Pigott Pigott Burslem Twells'.
The volume was sold at the sale of the Watson family of Calgarth Park, Westmorland, at Hodgson's, in 1909. Bequeathed by John Willis Clark, 1910.