The Seatonian Prize was established by the Revd Thomas Seaton in 1750. It is awarded annually to the Cambridge M.A. who enters the best poem on a sacred subject.
William Gibson (1745-1821) matriculated at Pembroke College, Cambridge, in 1764 (B.A., 1767; M.A., 1771), where he became a Fellow in 1777. He was ordained deacon in 1767, and priest in 1769. He became Curate at Wymondham, Norfolk, in 1767, and was Rector of Winterton, 1769-1781, and Rector of Colney, 1789-1821. He was made a Prebendary of Lincoln in 1789. Gibson won the Seatonian Prize in 1772 and 1781. He died at Colney on 29 July 1821.
Samuel Hayes (1749-c. 1795) attended Westminster School, before matriculating at Trinity College, Cambridge, in 1767 (B.A., 1771; M.A., 1774), where he became a Fellow in 1772. He was ordained deacon in 1771, and priest in 1772. He was usher at Westminster School, 1770-1788, and kept a boarding-house in Westminster. Hayes won the Seatonian Prize in 1775-1778 and 1783-1785.
Charles Peter Layard (1748-1803) attended Huntingdon School, before matriculating at St John's College, Cambridge, in 1766 (B.A., 1770; M.A., 1773; D.D., 1787), where he was a Fellow, 1773-1777. He was ordained deacon in 1771, and priest in 1774. He was Minister of Oxenden Chapel, London; Vicar of Wooton Bassett, Wiltshire, 1793-1798; Prebendary of Worcester Cathedral; Rector of Uffington, Lincolnshire, 1798-1803; Prebendary of Bangor, 1799-1803; Vicar of Kewstoke, Somerset, 1777-1799; and Dean of Bristol, 1800-1803. Layard won the Seatonian Prize in 1773 and 1774. He died at Bristol on 11 April 1803.
A series of Seatonian Prize poems added to the blank leaves at the end of a copy of the printed edition of Musae Seatonianae (London, 1772), in the hand of John Paddon, a previous owner of the volume. Includes: (p. 335) William Gibson, 'Conscience'; (p. 349) Charles Peter Layard, 'Charity'; (p. 367) Layard, 'Duelling', with footnotes in English, French and Latin; (p. 381) Samuel Hayes, 'Duelling'.
Inside the front cover is the name 'Jno. Paddon' and 'Samuel Sandars M.A. Trin: Coll: Camb: 7 De Vere Gardens, W., Chalfont Grove, Bucks., J.P. 1892'. On the flyleaf is a note by S. Sandars calling attention to the manuscript additions. On the verso: 'Saml. Crompton' (19th century).
Bequeathed by Samuel Sandars, 1894.