Three hands. Includes king lists for Ulster, Munster, and Leinster. Most of the poems have been published.
Two scribes appear to have worked together on the main text, the first being responsible for pp. 3-59 l.4, and pp. 144-5, and the second for pp. 59 l.5 - 139, with occasional assistance from the first scribe (eg, p. 87 ll. 23-7). A colophon at p. 123 in the hand of the second scribe, dated 3 July 1648, gives at l. 1 what may be the name of the scribe - Mac Con O'Domhnall - and his genealogy, but is only partly legible due to overwriting by a third hand. This last is responsible for numberous corrections and emendations throughout.
P. 1 is discoloured and only partly legible, but the MS appears to be complete, apart from loss of original binding.
Monck Mason sale, 1858. From the library of William Reeves, bishop of Down, Connor and Dromore (d. 1892). Purchased by the Library from Bernard Quaritch, 27 Feb. 1893 (Cat. 132, lot 388).